Key Club to select new executive officers, help with elementary school carnivals

Ethan Gonzalez, Key Club member and sophomore, reviews the Key Club schedule for events to volunteer in. Volunteer hours will be due after spring break. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

Key Club members who have applied for club president, vice president or secretary positions should prepare for interviews by sponsors Katie Kelly and Jill Grimes. The interviews will take place in Rooms H206 and E229 on March 17 and 19 before and after school.

“All of our applicants for the executive officer positions look really strong this year,” Kelly said.

Club members can also volunteer at the College Wood and West Clay elementary schools on March 21 and 27, respectively. Volunteers will help to set up games such as basketball tic tac toe, pop toss and book walk. For the College Wood carnival, students can volunteer for up to four time slots:  10:45 a.m. to noon11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.12:45 to 2 p.m. and 1:45 to 3 p.m. Volunteers should enter through the school’s front entrance and sign in at a table directly inside. The West Clay carnival will have two shifts, from 5:45 to 7 p.m. and 7 to 8:15 p.m. Students should arrive 10 minutes before their shift starts to prevent a crowded sign-in. Club members who are interested in volunteering for either carnival can reserve a shift online through the Key Club website or at the next Key Club meeting on March 19.

“The elementary school carnivals are the most popular events among Key Club members,” Kelly said. “I think it’s because our students get to participate in the fun activities as much as the elementary students do.”

Ben Sun, Key Club member and sophomore, plans to volunteer for the West Clay carnival. “I really enjoy the company of elementary students. Volunteering for carnivals is always pleasant, because I know I get to make a kid’s day,” he said.