Jazz Ensemble continues auditions until Nov. 19, results to come out shortly after

Jazz Ensemble auditions, which started on Nov. 17, will continue until Nov. 19 in three sessions that last from 7 to 7:40 a.m, according to Mike Pote, director of Jazz Ensemble I.

Pote said he has looked forward to the auditions this year, especially because there seems to be more students auditioning.

“We have a ton of kids that are going to audition. Maybe a little more this year,” Pote said. “Usually we have quite a lot of auditions, but this year there seems to be more interest, even.”

The CHS Jazz Ensemble program is one of the largest in the country, according to Pote. Each jazz ensemble consists of roughly 25 members and range in skill and experience, with Jazz Ensemble I being the most advanced.

Nathaniel Higdon, alto saxophone player and senior, adjusts the mouthpiece on his saxophone while he assembles it. Higdon, who has played in jazz bands since middle school, said he looks forward to the remaining two audition sessions, which will take place Nov. 18 and 19. PHOTO/ KATIE LONG

The audition piece this year is an excerpt from “Doxy” by Sonny Rollins, and there are additional parts students who audition for the rhythm section must play. Pote said that the audition results would most likely be released the week before Thanksgiving.

Jazz Ensemble members meet every morning from 7 to 7:40 at school to practice for performances and competitions, the first of which will be in March, according to Pote. Additionally, all students in Jazz Ensemble receive one academic credit.

Nathaniel Higdon, alto saxophone player, member of Jazz Ensemble I since sophomore year and senior, said he thinks his first audition session went well and he looks forward to the next two. Higdon said he enjoys Jazz Ensemble because of the music and the people involved.

“I enjoy jazz band just because it’s a different genre of music for me to experience,” Higdon said. “It’s a lot of fun hanging out with all the different people in band, and they’re a lot more easygoing.”