Get Involved: Students should strive to become more involved in high school

When I was a freshman entering high school, I saw my transition as just another phase in my life. I wasn’t particularly fazed by this school’s 5000+ kids, or that classes were going to be more plentiful and difficult. I simply viewed high school as another time to fit in with the crowd and do my own thing. Instead of living life to its fullest, I just wanted to get by. At freshman orientation, the first thing my GKOMs told me was I should get involved with Carmel. They told me I was going to regret it if I didn’t find ways to be an integral part of the school. But I didn’t listen to them.

Thankfully, one year later I thoroughly regretted that decision. Just to catch up with everyone and on a whim my sophomore year, I decided to apply to be a part of the Carmel Mayor’s Youth Council (CMYC). Today, as a nostalgic senior, I am thankful I made that decision. My time in CMYC changed the outlook I had on life and made me the active member of society I am today. CMYC, a youth-led initiative dedicated to promoting civic involvement, exposed me to the tremendous impact I can have on my community as a youth. It opened my eyes and showed me the importance of being an engaged and an active member of the community. In CMYC, I was able to find something that was important to me, a feeling that I feel all high school students should experience before they graduate.  

My experiences aside, fellow classmates I urge all of you to find something you are passionate in and get involved. I hate to sound like a broken record, but the truth is being involved is the best thing someone can do in high school. Don’t make the same mistakes I made. Don’t waste your four years here. Find something you’re passionate in and get involved.  

To apply for CMYC, visit http://www.cmycouncil.com/apply/

6

Manahil Nadeem, Editor In Chief
Related Posts:School vs. Sports: CHS students struggle to balance academics, athletics Slowly but surely, the days of the gladiator have been swept to the wayside and the age of the modern, intellectual warrior has emerged. As such, the evolution of sports has been drastically altered by the structural changes in society.…New Coach, Same Goals: Cross...