Teens with a Choice to solidify its plan, goals for this school year

Teens with a Choice club members talk amongst themselves at the club’s Homecoming booth. The club sold baked goods and promoted the club in preparation for the upcoming year.

Teens with a Choice will host a meeting on Oct. 17 in E132 until 4 p.m., according to Sasha Matsuki, club president and senior. Matsuki said that during this meeting, the club will go over goals and plans for the year.

Sponsor Chad Andrews said, “The students have a lot of ideas for this year and I’m excited to see where that takes us. It’s really student-led, so whatever they want to do, we’ll put our efforts in doing.”

Matsuki said the members have a lot of plans and ideas for fundraisers and possible events this year.

“This year I’m really trying to make sure that all the members of the club find what they’re looking for in the club. A lot of kids want to do t-shirts, so we could definitely have a fundraising avenue through that. There was also some talk about armbands, so just general fundraiser type activities,” Matsuki said. “We’re also going to continue with the fundraiser we’ve been doing to raise money for Prevail for the past two years.”

Matsuki said one of the top priorities this year will be to plan a sex education talk. The club had planned to do one last year, but it was canceled due to timing conflicts.

She said, “There was that really big schoolwide talk and it touched on some of the points we wanted to talk about like safe dating and consent, but we think that (a talk) coming from other students and focusing a lot on really what is safe sex in terms of condoms, contraception, etc. will be well-received by the student body.”

Matsuki said that planning the talk will take a lot of coordination, hard work and communication with the administration.

“We’re looking forward to being respectful with the administration and getting the point across that we’re here to educate our fellow students,” Matsuki said. “I’m also excited to see what the club can do just past my presence this year, since it’ll be my last year in the club.”