Spanish IV and V students to see musical ‘Man of La Mancha’ Oct. 25

On Oct. 25, the students from the Spanish IV and V classes will see the musical “Man of La Mancha,” a musical production based on the story of Don Quixote at Beef & Boards in Indianapolis, to gain a better understanding of Spanish language and culture.

Spanish teacher Nicole Yañez says, “Man of La Mancha is a musical interpretation of  Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote de la Mancha. It is one of the most important pieces of literature that has ever come out of Spain, full of bravery, romance, and adventure. It deals with a lot of themes that a lot of Spanish IV and V students are learning in their classes, like the identity of Spanish people at the time and the loss of Spanish territories. It has the same equivalency and importance as if a Spanish student were to see Romeo and Juliet for the first time.”

Edward Dong, sophomore and Spanish student, said the play will give him a more holistic view of Spanish culture, and the history of Spain. “I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the play this week, mostly because it’s another side of Spanish class that I haven’t experienced yet. Most of class is just memorizing vocabulary and rules, but now we get to watch a play that has prisons and knights and action, along with an accurate representation of Spain,” he said.

Teachers and students agree the play will introduce new and learned topics that are a part of the rich, Spanish culture. Later in the week, Spanish club members will participate in upcoming Day of the Dead celebrations.