Winter Guard to perform in Indy Regional Competition

A color guard member stands atop a prop during one of their final shows of the season. The winter guard will perform in their second major competition at the Indy Regional this weekend, Feb. 16-17. Krissy Sass, guard member and sophomore, said she has high hopes for the competition.

Michelle Lu

Over the past few weeks, the winter guard has been working hard to refine their performance for the World Guard International (WGI) Indy Regional Competition, which will take place on Feb. 16 and 17. According to guard director Rosie Queen, the team had been coping with the explosion that had taken place over winter break.

“All three of our winter guards (JV, A and World Guard) have been working really hard over the past couple of months in putting together our 2019 competitive shows,” Queen said via email. “We were lucky in that our friends at Hamilton Southeastern and Grace Church really stepped up to help us out in our time of need, by sharing facilities with us to rehearse.”

Kristina “Krissy” Sass, guard member and sophomore, said she looks forward to the competition in light of last year’s performance.

“Next weekend is the Indy Regional…other than that we just have small weekend competitions until March 16, which is State Finals,” she said. “I know last year we were very successful at the Indy Regional, with each run getting significantly better and our finals run being our best of the season.”

Sass added that for the team, it means more than winning.

“For the returning members I think we’re looking to get back to the group connection and success we found last year at the competition.”  By Michelle Lu 

https://carmelbands.org/color-guard/winter-guard/

0
Michelle Lu, Student Section Reporter, Student Section Copy Editor

Hello! I'm Michelle Lu, Student Section Reporter and Feature Copy Editor. This is my first year on the HiLite staff as a sophomore. I also make graphics...