Incoming students and parents to attend 8th Grade Academic Transition Night

Eighth Grade Academic Transition Night will take place on Jan. 12 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Both eighth-grade students and parents are encouraged to attend the event and learn more about the curriculum at CHS.

Three identical sessions regarding scheduling will take place in the auditorium, and representatives from International Baccalaureate and Special Services will hold sessions as well.

According to assistant principal Amy Skeens-Benton, both teachers and students will attend the event to answer any questions regarding classes and electives.

Throughout the evening, senators and volunteers from the National Honor Society will lead tours to assist students and parents in finding their way around the school.

Senior Lisa Dunnivant, a member of both Senate and NHS, is one of numerous volunteers.

“Hopefully, eighth graders will feel more comfortable walking around the school after the event, and they won’t be as worried about making the switch from a middle school to the high school,”

she said.

Dunnivant said she still remembers attending Academic Transition Night as an eighth grader.

“It helped ease some of the anxiety I had about moving to the high school,” she said. “I was scared I would get lost because the school was so big, but the tours gave me an opportunity to find my way around before school started.”

Students and parents who are unable to attend the event will be able to access a PowerPoint created by the counselors online. Parents will also have the option to attend coffees that will cover the same topics.

After Academic Transition Night, counselors will visit each middle school and begin scheduling classes for incoming students.

Skeens-Benton said, “Academic Transition Night will be a great opportunity to show off how awesome our school is.”By Laura Peng <[email protected]>