FCCLA to adapt to COVID-19 regulations, prepare for callout meetings

FCCLA shares a post on Instagram outlining the details for the start of the club and the call-out meetings. Marissa Cheslock, student leader of FCCLA and senior, said the clubs biggest change has been switching to two bimonthly meetings to account for the hybrid schedule and ensure space for social distancing.
Submitted Photo: Marissa Cheslock
FCCLA shares a post on Instagram outlining the details for the start of the club and the call-out meetings. Marissa Cheslock, student leader of FCCLA and senior, said the club’s biggest change has been switching to two bimonthly meetings to account for the hybrid schedule and ensure space for social distancing.

This year, with new social distancing requirements and the hybrid schedule, members of Family, Career & Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) have had the unique challenge of adapting to COVID-19. The club members held a call-out meeting last Thursday, Sept. 3, for members of the Greyhound Cohort and will hold another call-out meeting on Sept. 17 for members of the Carmel Cohort who are interested in joining the club.

FCCLA adviser Nancy Spencer said via email, “Most meetings are functioning similarly as they have in the past, but keeping the new social distancing requirements and smaller class sizes in mind.”

Marissa Cheslock, student leader of FCCLA and senior, said via email that the club is taking things day by day when it comes to planning out meetings and holding events.

Cheslock said, “We’re planning as if we’re going to have a normal year with regular conferences and competition, other than the fact that our meetings are now split between cohorts, and will make changes as necessary.”

Cheslock said the club has already made changes to make things both easier and safer for students.

“FCCLA officers decided to switch from bimonthly meetings to every Thursday, asking that students only attend on their in-person days. We also now have two rooms so that we can social distance and spill over into the second if needed,” she said.