Media center plans for Banned Books Week, to introduce new technology

Media specialist John Shearin shares a book with students during a class visit to the media center. Shearin said that the media staff will add new technology to enhance the media center experience for students. DAVID CHOE / PHOTO

Starting from Sept. 26, the media center will begin Banned Books Week, a week dedicated to increasing the awareness of banned books in libraries.

“Freedom to Read Week, as I call (Banned Books Week), is to promote awareness to many people and for them to be aware of banned or censored books,” media department chairperson Bonnie Grimble said. “We believe that all cultures and thoughts should be embraced, and there should be a place for all diverse opinions in libraries.”

According to Grimble, the event-filled week will include many displays and presentations by Grimble about banned books. The Banned Books Week will end on Oct. 1.

In addition to the Banned Books Week, the media staff will introduce new technology to the media center, according to media specialist John Shearin. The new additions in technology will include a motion detector with an audio trigger for displays and a display screen that is already being implemented.

“We have displays up all the time elsewhere in the building,” Shearin said. “By running a little something different, (the displays) help us get our message across easily. It’s all about communication.”

Grimble said she agreed. “We’re always looking to try new things,” Grimble said. “And we’re willing to try anything we can do to enhance our presence.”