Administration looks to reinforce handrail on catwalk

During passing period, students traverse the catwalk, which is often used as a viewing location during events in the commons, like the BucketBangers performance on Sept. 21. The administration is looking to possibly reinforce the handrails preemptively for fears of the structure falling as more students lean on it.

Administrators plan to invite an engineer to check on the handrails of the catwalk, which students leaned on in the past as they watched events in the commons area such as the BucketBangers performance during the passing periods of Sept. 21. Principal John Williams said administrators were stationed on the catwalk at that event to ensure that students did not put excess pressure on the handrail, as the structure’s integrity against that much weight had come into question during Homecoming week.

According to Williams, administrators will look into the possibility of reinforcing the handrail with add-on structures or the installation of a new rail before future events in the common, which have included jazz band performances, orchestra demonstrations and flash mobs in previous years.

“There’s nothing wrong with the rail for its intended purpose,” Williams said. “But, that area was never designed for observation by hundreds of kids.”

Alternatively, the engineer may not find the handrail unsafe, and reinforcements will not be necessary. Student body president Chris Johnson said students should be cautious with the handrails either way.

“If something were to happen, and kids fell, that would be a bigger issue,” he said. “The policy (that students can’t lean on the rail) is the lesser of two evils.”

Even if the handrail is reinforced, Williams discourages students from leaning on it due to concerns of falling over the handrail. As far as a timetable for the rail’s reinforcement or replacement, however, there’s no definite deadline because the BucketBangers event passed with no incident.

“One way or another, it’ll be ready for next Homecoming,” Williams said.