Financial Aid Night for seniors on Nov. 14

Linda Christy, college counselor at the College and Career Resource Center, directs a workshop during College Go Week in September. Christy will present information for seniors at Financial Aid Night on Nov. 14 in the freshman cafeteria from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. HAFSA RAZI / PHOTO

Seniors can attend Financial Aid Night on Nov. 14 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the freshman cafeteria, although the program will probably only run until 8 that night, according to Linda Christy, college counselor at the College and Career Resource Center (CCRC), who will be presenting information at the event.

The purpose of Financial Aid Night is to provide information to college-bound students about filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and finding scholarships, Christy said.

Linda Christy, college counselor at the College and Career Resource Center, directs a workshop during “College Go” week in September. Christy will present information for seniors at Financial Aid Night on Nov. 14 in the freshman cafeteria from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. HAFSA RAZI / PHOTO

“I’m hoping (attendees) will come away feeling less stressed about the financial aid process,” Christy said.

According to Christy, the counseling department will host a guest speaker from the University of Indiana to talk about the FAFSA at the event. Staff members from the Carmel Education Foundation will also present information about scholarship opportunities.

Senior Sean Cimino said he wants to go to Financial Aid Night so he can find out about scholarships and financial aid deadlines.

“I want to know what more I have to do,” Cimino said.

Students can find helpful links to information about financial aid on the counseling center website, as well as any PowerPoint presentations used during the information night, Christy said.

The target audience of Financial Aid Night is all seniors and their parents, Christy said, though any juniors are invited if they wish to get a head start on the financial aid process. According to Christy, this is her first year running the event, but it has attracted around 400 to 500 attendees in the past.

“Everybody wants to know about money, so I’m hoping we get a good turnout,” Christy said.

Cimino said he has relatively strong background knowledge of the financial aid process.

“I had three older brothers who went to college, so I have a pretty good idea of what to do,” Cimino said, “but it would be nice to know more.”