House prepares for Jan. 18 basketball tailgate fundraiser for Riley Hospital

As the Feb. 23 Dance Marathon event approaches, House, which is in charge of the annual fundraiser, is continuing its efforts to raise money. According to House sponsor Sarah Wolff, a tailgate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Freshman Cafeteria before the varsity basketball game on Jan. 18 with all proceeds donated to Riley Hospital for Children through Dance Marathon.

“The basketball tailgate is a unique event in that there are often tailgates for football games, but not many for other sports,” speaker of the House Meredith Baranowski said. “We’ll have the upbeat music going and different games set up. The $5 ticket will also get you unlimited pizza, cold drinks and Paradise Bakery cookies, which are the best.”

Cabinet members made posters to put on their lockers advertising the basketball tailgate event. The fundraiser is scheduled to take place in the Freshman Cafeteria on Jan. 18 at 6 p.m. LINDSEY WALKER / PHOTO

Tickets can be purchased from any Senator or Cabinet member during the week leading up to the event, or at the door. According to Wolff, the theme of the tailgate is “Jersey night,” so students are encouraged to dress up in their favorite sports jersey.

“This is going to be a really fun event for students because we’ll have so much going on,” Wolff said. “Games include corn hole, four square, ladder golf and we might have volleyball like last year.” This is the third year House has hosted the basketball tailgate to raise money for Riley Hospital.

“All in all, it’s a way to get together before the basketball game and get the energy pumping,” Baranowski said.