Senate looks forward to Brain Game, counselor appreciation week

Senator and sophomore Christian Farag and senator and senior Charlie Walker count the profit generated by the Neon Dance. According to Walker, chairperson of the event, Senate raised $724 for melanoma research. MELINDA SONG / PHOTO

With second semester fully underway, senators at this school are planning the annual, school-wide Brain Game tournament and counselor appreciation week.

“Brain Game will be starting probably in the next two weeks,” student body president Chris Johnson said. “Right now, we’re finding out which teachers want to be in it, and we’re making the brackets. We’ll get the questions ready and then we’ll go.”

Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz said the chairperson of the Brain Game tournament must decide how to schedule its seven rounds.

According to Johnson, counselor appreciation will occur from Feb. 4 to 8, and senators are already preparing for the eventful week.

“We have people making signs; we’re going to bring in breakfast for the counselors, and we’ll make announcements during the week just to recognize all of the work that our counselors do and be supportive of them,” Foutz said.

On Jan. 26, Senate sponsored the Neon Dance, which raised over $700 for melanoma research.

“That’s $742 toward melanoma research that we didn’t previously have, so I’m happy about that,” Foutz said. “(The turnout) was quite a bit less than last year…I’m not really sure why we didn’t have more people.”

In order to increase attendance in future years, both Johnson and Foutz said they would brainstorm possible ideas to boost student interest.