Art club prepares for Spring Art Show

Art department chair Jen Davis said the Spring Art Show is to take place on May 7 through 10 and will be located in the lobby outside the Dale E. Graham Auditorium.

“Basically it’s open to anyone at anytime, although we plan it to open on the same night as the opening night of the musical, so that more people come see it,” Davis said.

“I try to encourage every teacher to represent every content area. The subjects represented are drawing, painting, jewelry, ceramics, computer graphics, Independent Study, AP Studio and photography.

Mark Kremer, AP Studio Art student and junior, said he participated in the show last year and plans to again this year.

He said, “I’m not sure what piece that (art teacher Jon) Kane will choose of mine to put in the show.” According to him, he deviated from what he usually produces by finishing a graffiti peace.

Davis said becasue of space restrictions, not every student will have a piece in the show.  She said she would like students with average to above average work to be displayed in the show, although it is their prerogative to decline the offer to be displayed.

According to her, it is possible for jewelry students to showcase several of their pieces because they are relatively small. However, it’s not possible for ceramic students to display several of their pieces.

Though the show is confined to the lobby, she said they try their best to use the room they are given.

“I’m really excited for the show. Having pieces displayed is a really rewarding experience and I enjoy seeing what other art students have been working on,” Kremer said.