Open House to take place Aug. 29

Mary Ann Schloot, main office secretary and Open House co-coordinator, makes plans for the upcoming event on Aug. 29.  At the Open House, which begins at 6 p.m., parents will have a chance to go through their childrens schedules, meet their teachers and talk about what their kids will be learning.  KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO
Mary Ann Schloot, main office secretary and Open House co-coordinator, makes plans for the upcoming event on Aug. 29. At the Open House, which begins at 6 p.m., parents will have a chance to go through their children’s schedules, meet their teachers and talk about what their kids will be learning. KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO

According to MJ Schloot, main office secretary and co-coordinator of the Open House, the school’s Open House will take place on Aug. 29 beginning at 6 p.m. She said that the parents will listen to Principal John Williams speak in the auditorium, watch an Ambassadors performance, and then go meet their students’ teachers.

(For the complete Open House schedule, click here.)

Schloot said that there are many tasks to accomplish before the Open House. “We (have to) set up the tables in the foyer, get the National Honor Society (NHS) students to work the building, and run off schedules so parents can come and pick them up,” Schloot said.

MJ Schloot, main office secretary and Open House co-coordinator, makes plans for the upcoming event on Aug. 29.  At the Open House, which begins at 6 p.m., parents will have a chance to go through their children's schedules, meet their teachers and talk about what their kids will be learning.  KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO
MJ Schloot, main office secretary and Open House co-coordinator, makes plans for the upcoming event on Aug. 29. At the Open House, which begins at 6 p.m., parents will have a chance to go through their children’s schedules, meet their teachers and talk about what their kids will be learning. KARTHIK THADASINA / PHOTO

Laura Rokop, NHS member and senior, said she will volunteer at the Open House by helping parents find their way to their students’ classes. She said that the parents will have 10 minutes in each classroom and 10 minutes to get from one class to another.

Both Schloot and Rokop said they think the Open House is very helpful for parents. Schloot said she thinks it helps them understand what the students are going through.

“I hear them commenting a lot about how big the building is and how long it takes to get from one part to the other part,” Schloot said.

Rokop said she agrees. “I think the parents get a feel for the school, especially for the (parents of the) freshmen. It’s also good to meet the teachers because I know kids talk about their teachers all the time so putting a name with a face and meeting (the teachers) for themselves would be nice,” Rokop said.

Schloot said the most important goal she hopes to accomplish at the Open House is to connecting parents to the school.

“I hope that parents know that they are welcome here; they are welcome to meet the teachers, among other things,” Schloot said. “I also want them to know that we will help them in any way we can to contact the teachers for them or open communication with the teachers.”