Tech Hounds earns second place at Nov. 9 Brownsburg meet, continues to train members for Jan. 5 season

Kalen Rudd, Tech Hounds member and sophomore, works on an old robot shooter. During the preseason, members refine last year’s robots for practice until the official season starts in January. JESSICA TAO / PHOTO

Beats

Tech Hounds recently attended its second preseason event in Brownsburg.

Kalen Rudd, Tech Hounds member and sophomore, works on an old robot shooter.  During the preseason, members refine last year’s robots for practice until the official season starts in January. JESSICA TAO / PHOTO

According to sponsor George Giltner, rookie members gained a lot of driving experience.

Sophomore Stanley Liu said by going to Brownsburg, he learned how to pull the strings of driving the robots.

The Tech Hounds team competed with 12 other schools, made it to semifinals, and placed second.

“We usually don’t attend preseason events, but I’m glad we did,” Giltner said. “It’s a neat opportunity for new drivers to gain experience and isn’t too intense.” Liu said it is “more for fun.”

The Tech Hounds season officially begins on Jan.5 when they are assigned the objective for the year.

Giltner said, “We don’t have any big events coming up–just training new members on the tools, machinery, and programs.” Liu said that the training is student-run.

“I’m glad I went to the competition because we can watch videos to learn how to build robots,” Liu said, “but you don’t get the experience until you actually attend the events.”

0