HiLite staff members earn 2014 CSPA Gold Circle awards

HiLite staff members earned 11 Gold Circle awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Awards were given for work published online at the HiLite website between November 2, 2012 and November 1, 2013. The awards were announced on February 17.

Sophomore Jessica Tao won second place in the “Personal opinion: On-campus issues” category for her column, “Bullying Happens.

Junior Michelle Dai won third place in the “General feature” category for her article, “More Young Americans Turn Away from Organized Religion.

Senior Hafsa Razi won second place in the “Non-fiction column” category for her column, “Insecure.

Sophomore Kyle Crawford won third place in the “Single sports photograph” category for his photo in “Men’s Basketball Team Prepares for Game Against Lawerence North.”

Senior Omeed Malek won third place  in the “Photo illustration” category for his photo in “Foreign-born Students Balance American Immigrant Identities.

Senior Rachel Chen won second place in the “Editorial cartoon” category for ”The De-Evolution of Music.”

The HiLite staff won first place in the “Typography: Overall look of the entire website” category.

The HiLite staff won a certificate of merit in the “News Online Design Web site” category.

Sophomore Kyle Crawford won a certificate of merit in the “Photo slideshow” category for “Tarzan: Behind the Scenes.”

Sophomore Kyle Crawford won first place in the “Video feature package” category for “Senior Sam Milstone Eats Glass.”

Junior Naomi Reibold and sophomore Kyle Crawford won second place in the “Video feature package” category for “Sophomore Taylor Johnson Competitively Horseback Rides.”