Men's soccer players face tough decision

The Developmental Academy (DA) is a premier soccer club that allows the best players from each state to compete against top teams from other states. This way, some of the most skilled high school players get a chance to compete at the highest level in tournaments and showcases across the country. In the past, players that play for the CHS men’s soccer team were also able to then go on and play for the Developmental Academy . However, this year the Academy is moving to a year-round program. This means that any high school player thinking about playing on the U16 or U18 DA teams must choose between high school soccer and the Developmental Academy. It is uncertain why the DA changed their schedule this year but Eric Dick, soccer team member and senior, said it might be because of the growing of the academy.
            “The only reason I can think of them changing the schedule is because more states have created DA teams for themselves,” Dick said. “This way it allows more games to be played between states from all over the country as well as gain more exposure to competition.”
            No matter what the reasoning, coaches and players from the men’s soccer team face tough decisions about the future of the team and their individual futures. According to Dick, the Developmental Academy offers beneficial experience that cannot be gained by playing for the high school team.
            “The training, competition, and overall environment run hand in hand with a college soccer atmosphere,” Dick said. “It is the final step to take if you want to play collegiately or possibly further.”
            Along with the experience, DA players gain an upper hand in being recruited. By going to states all over the country, players have the chance to play in front of large audiences and college scouts. Another perk of playing DA is the ability to travel around the country. The likelihood of a club team from the east traveling to play teams in the west is very slim in high school soccer but according to Dick the DA promotes this. The DA also offers the Christmas showcase, which is one of the biggest recruiting events of the year. While there are positives to playing for the Developmental Academy , there are also negatives. Mason Seiler, soccer team member and senior, has already decided he won’t be playing for DA next season.
            “Playing for the Developmental Academy is a huge commitment compared to the high school team,” said Seiler. “If you play for DA, you’re traveling out of town every weekend.”
            Although it isn’t official which players are playing DA and which are playing for the high school team, Dick said he believes a few will choose DA.
            “We won’t fully know until the first day of try outs,” Dick said. “However, based on those playing on the DA right now and other info, if I were to predict I would say four or five.”
            Even if just a handful of players choose to play for the Developmental Academy that leaves holes in the team for next year. Head Coach Shane Schmidt said missing players would have an impact but not kill the team’s chances of winning a State Championship.
            “Missing players will have an impact, but we will still be an extremely good team,” said Schmidt. “One of the favorites to win a State Championship.”
            Like Schmidt, Dick said the team will still compete at a high level and haven’t changed their goals just because of a few lost players.
            “Losing players next year will no doubt affect us, but it doesn’t change the mindset of the team,” Dick said. “The team’s goal is to still win a State Championship.”
            Seiler added that it wouldn’t just be Carmel losing players, but others teams throughout the state as well.
            “It is easy to forget we aren’t the only ones affected by the new change,” Seiler said. “Most of the top teams in the state will be losing players to DA as well.”
            Dick said the team will treat the loss the same as when players graduate or can’t play due to injury. He also added new players on the team must step up and fill the voids of the past players.
            “If we do lose players to the DA, they will truly be missed on the field, however, I remain 120% confident that there are other soccer players here at Carmel High School that will step up and take their place in the spotlight.”