Kids’ Corner prepares for preschoolers’ arrival on Oct. 2

Members of Kids’ Corner have been working on their curriculum and lessons for the preschoolers’ arrival on Oct. 2, which is also the Parent Meeting/Preschool Orientation, according to Kimberly Lenzo, director of Kids’ Corner.

Liz Hynes, student teacher of Kids’ Corner and senior, reads a book. Hynes said the preschoolers will arrive on Oct. 2. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO
Elizabeth “Liz” Hynes, Kids’ Corner student teacher and senior, reads a book. Hynes said the preschoolers will arrive on Oct. 2. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO

Lenzo said this will be a very important day. “The preschoolers get the opportunity to get comfortable with their surroundings while the parents/babysitter/grandparent is still in the building,” she said via email. “The parents meet in the room connected to the preschool to discuss logistics, complete health forms, learn more about our program and meet the teachers.”

In preparation for Oct. 2, students have planned lessons for each of the 10 weeks, each of which has a specific theme. Some include “All About Me,” “All Around the World” and “Under the Big Blue Sky.” All Around the World will be the theme of the first full week with the preschoolers, Oct. 8 to 12.

“(Students) are planning lessons for each of the theme weeks in the curriculum areas—art, literature, writing, math, science, games/puzzles/computer, drama, blocks, sensory, large motor, circle time and snack,” Lenzo said.

Elizabeth “Liz” Hynes, Kids’ Corner student teacher and senior, said members of Kids’ Corner will soon determine which lesson plans they will use, getting all of the supplies and putting everything together in order to be ready for the preschoolers’ arrival.

“Well, say (the lesson plan) was like I chose a book to read or something like that for story time with the kids. What we’ll do is we’ll get that book, and you’ll practice reading it a couple of times so that when you read in front of the kids, it won’t be your first time reading the book,” she said.

Hynes said she is excited for the arrival of the preschoolers.

“I’m slightly nervous, but that’s OK,” Hynes said. “I’m just really excited for the kids to get here, because I feel like when they do get here, everything will just fall into place, and it’ll go smoothly.”