Kids’ Corner prepares for field trips and activities

Kids’ Corner members will participate in several field trips and activities with the preschoolers. According to Kimberly Lenzo, director of Kids’ Corner, Kids’ Corner will have a field trip to the planetarium on Oct. 23. Members will also trick-or-treat with the preschoolers on Oct. 31. However, for the week of Oct. 13 to 17, Kids’ Corner will not be in session due to testing.

Elizabeth "Liz" Hynes, student teacher of Kids’ Corner and senior, logs on to her administration account for Pinnacle’s website. Hynes said she is excited to trick-or-treat with the preschoolers on Oct. 31 for Kids’ Corner. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO
Elizabeth “Liz” Hynes, student teacher of Kids’ Corner and senior, logs on to her administration account for Pinnacle’s website. Hynes said she is excited to trick-or-treat with the preschoolers on Oct. 31 for Kids’ Corner. CYNTHIA YUE / PHOTO

Lenzo said members are also at placements at Cherry Tree, Forest Dale, Orchard Park and Smoky Row elementary schools in kindergarten, first and second grade classrooms and at Edu-Care.

Lenzo said via email, “The teachers who have agreed to mentor the students provide a great learning experience for the students.”

Elizabeth “Liz” Hynes, student teacher of Kids’ Corner and senior, said students at placements and at the Kids’ Corner preschool will work on lesson plans at CHS this week due to testing.

Hynes said via email, “Instead of having the kids here or going to our placements, everyone will just have a work day at the school to work on our upcoming lesson plans (when the preschool is not in session).”

According to Lenzo, the theme for the following week of Oct. 20 to 24 is Space. Hynes will be the lead teacher for the week.

“I’m excited to be lead teacher, although (I am) slightly nervous … (However), I know that with the right preparation, everything will go smoothly,” Hynes said.

The field trip to the planetarium will be during the week with the Space theme. Lenzo said, “(Planetarium Director Keith) Turner does a presentation on the sun, the moon and the stars that is very fun for the preschool students.”

According to Lenzo, the theme for the week of Oct. 27 to 31 is Halloween. Lenzo said the students and preschoolers will trick-or-treat in costumes, go to the media center for Halloween activities and have activities in the classroom as well.

Hynes said she is excited to trick-or-treat with the preschoolers.

“It’s going to be fun to dress up and enjoy the holiday with the kids,” Hynes said.