Computer Building Club plans to repurpose 90 computers

Caleb Smith, Computer Building Club president and freshman, checks a computer’s ability to boot up. This procedure is part of the repurposing process.
Caleb Smith, Computer Building Club president and freshman, checks a computer's ability to boot up. This procedure is part of the repurposing process.
Caleb Smith, Computer Building Club member and freshman, checks a computer’s ability to boot up. This procedure is part of the repurposing process.

Computer Building Club meets every Monday to repurpose old computers which NetLiteracy later distributes to less fortunate individuals. The club has recently received a shipment of 90 new computers from NetLiteracy, which is a non-profit organization, to repurpose.

Sponsor Margaret Winans said, “We install brand-new operating systems and free software, such as anti-virus and security software, and prepare them for NetLiteracy, who distributes them.”

According to Krishna Pathak, club president and senior, the club members hope to repurpose all the machines by the end of April.

Pathak said, “Well now we’re just giving them a quick boot-up test to make sure they can boot, and we’re removing the fire wire cards.”

The next club meeting will be on March 9.