Anatomy students to visit cadaver lab

Junior Megan Armstrong talks to her friend at lunch. Armstrong said she plans to attend the Medical Academic Center field trip on the cardiovascular system day because she wants to be a cardiologist.

Students currently taking human anatomy and physiology will have the opportunity to visit the Medical Academic Center and see a human cadaver dissection, according to Erin Odya, human anatomy and physiology teacher. The trip will be after school March 23-26. Students can choose a day to attend based on which topic they are most interested in:  nervous, cardiovascular, respiratory, or digestive system.

Junior Megan Armstrong is currently taking anatomy and plans to go on the field trip on the cardiovascular system day, March 24. She said there was limited space on the trip, so her teacher, Sarah Gillim, decided who could go on a first-come, first-serve basis, but if too many people wanted to go on the same day, the students with the best grades were given priority.

“I actually want to be a cardiologist when I grow up, which is, you know, a heart doctor,” Armstrong said. “So I think I’m looking forward the most to seeing a human heart because I’ve never seen a real human heart in person before. I did dissect a pig’s heart in Anatomy before, but I’m just looking forward the most to exploring a real human heart and seeing what I’d be working with in the future.”