Indian Student Association has found new sponsor

Secretary and sophomore Jai Sanghani and vice president and junior Sitha Vallabhanen eat during lunch while discussing ideas about the club. PHOTO// ANNIKA WOLFF

Indian Student Association (ISA) has found its sponsor and is currently working towards planning a Holi celebration. Club president and sophomore Alina Husain said English teacher Elizabeth Kahl was the new sponsor.

“We were thinking of Mrs. Kahl partly because she’s Indian and partly because she’s just an awesome teacher, because I have her,” vice president and junior Sitha Vallabhanen said. “That’s why I was thinking maybe she could work. Then we (the executive board) went to her and we asked ‘hey can you sponsor us’ and she said yes. We still need to contact her with what we’re going to do with the club. ”

Now that the club is in procession of a sponsor, the club is looking to restart their activities. According to Husain they will not have an official call out meeting because it is so late in the school year. Instead, ISA is planning a Holi celebration for sometime after Spring Break. This year, Holi falls on March 23, but the club wants to wait until after the break so as many people who want to come to the event are able. The board members will have a meeting this month to decide when and where the event will take place. Husain said it will most likely take place at a park.

“We definitely want everyone to come out to our Holi celebration. It’s exactly like what you see in movies where you see people throwing the powders at each other and in the end you’re covered in lot of different colors and it’s just a lot of fun,” Husain said. “You don’t have to be Indian; you don’t have to be in the club… Bring your friends, bring your family if you want, and it should be a good time.”