Girls soccer prepares to face rivals

With nine games under their belt and having won all but one, the Carmel varsity girls’ soccer team is well on their way to having a great season. However, within the next two weeks the Greyhounds are scheduled to play three of their big rivals: Cathedral, Dublin Coffman (OH), and Sacred Heart Academy (KY).

In reference to the Cathedral game, captain and senior Paige Covington said, “It won’t be an easy game, but we should win.”

Covington said this year’s team is different from years past because they have six returning seniors and quite a few freshmen on varsity. “You can tell (the freshmen) are working very hard and they all really want to do well,” Covington said.

In agreement with Covington, varsity head coach Frank Dixon said (via e-mail), “We have some very good freshmen on this year’s team and they bring much to our group. They all appear comfortable playing on the varsity and (are) excited about having that opportunity to help the team. Also, they are all very willing to follow the example set by our upper classmen both on and off the field.”

Dixon said the freshman, although contributing a lot of enthusiasm and hard work to this year’s team, have not yet played against big rivals and most likely won’t see a lot of playing time against upcoming teams such as Cathedral.

Dixon said, “ This group is great to work with. The coaching staff is enjoying the season, and I am having fun coaching this group of players.”

But with 8-2-1 Cathedral, 4-1 Dublin Coffman, and 1-0 Sacred Heart Academy on their plate, the girls have a tough two weeks ahead of them. The Greyhounds are scheduled to play Cathedral at home at 7 p.m. on September 23 and Sacred Heart Academy at home at 1:30 p.m. on October 3. However, the Dublin Coffman game will take place in Ohio.

Dixon said, “The girls have worked hard and become better as a team at each practice so I expect us to play well in all our remaining games, especially (in these games against our major rivals).” By Alex Mackall [email protected]