National Merit semifinalists apply to become finalists

National Merit semifinalists of the PSAT standardized test will apply to become finalists. Juniors who took the test will receive their scores in December, shortly before winter break.

“Both juniors and sophomores take the PSAT, but juniors get their results back. The top half of the students are then National Merit semifinalists,” counselor Bettina Cool said.

Students who made it to be semifinalists then go through an application process; if they are accepted, they become National Merit finalists. “The semifinalists are then given a month to complete their applications. They will not know if they are finalists until February 2010,” Cool said. National Merit finalists receive a scholarship for their efforts.

Cool said that commended students, those who did well but were not semifinalists, receive a certificate. “This year we have 34 semifinalists and 41 commended. Generally, all semifinalists at CHS become finalists,” Cool said.

To become a semifinalist, students must score in the top half percent. The score to do so varies each year. Scores in the past have been 211, 212, and 213. The maximum a student can score on the PSAT is a 240.

It is optional for sophomores to take the PSAT. However, should they decide that they want to, their scores do not count towards them becoming National Merit semifinalists or commended students. Cool said, “Even if you take it your sophomore year, you must take it your junior year to be eligible.” By Keshav Masani <[email protected]>