AP World History teacher adjusts plans to prepare students for AP exam

This year, The College Board’s plan for AP exams so far is to revert them back to their traditional, pre-COVID versions. Because of this, AP World History teacher Ryan Ringenberg said he is adjusting his teaching plans.

“As far as AP teachers have been told, the exam will be conducted as it traditionally has been (before the COVID-19 pandemic) for schools that are hybrid and fully in session,” Ringenberg said. “We are preparing as we normally have been, with the only difference being the increased use of Canvas for some assessments. The virtual version of AP World History is completely digital, with no paper tests or essays.”

Because of the increased use of Canvas for assignments, Ringenberg is lessening some coursework done at school.

“We have had to trim some of the activities that were traditionally done in class due to the hybrid schedule,” Ringenberg said. “The amount of content and essay-writing remains the same and is still timed, but some of it is now done at home.”

With the new changes, freshman Kyra Escobar is still adjusting to Ringenberg’s new teaching plans.

“Mr. Ringenberg saves a lot of the actual teaching part for in-person days, while practices and reinforcements are usually assigned for virtual days,” Escobar said. “The system works, but I think we all would prefer being able to safely be in class every day instead of the hybrid schedule. I know being hybrid has also made a lot of our timed writes virtual on Canvas instead of on paper in person, and it’s a lot more convenient to be able to type everything.”

While students are adjusting to the new plans, Ringenberg said he is excited for the traditional exams.

“I look forward to going back to a traditional schedule but feel that we have made the hybrid model workable for the AP World class,” Ringenberg said. “The students scored similarly on the in-person Semester 1 multiple choice final exam done on paper as they have in the past years before the pandemic. I am glad that this group of students will be able to experience a full version of the exam in May.”