CHS receives letter of praise from IU Bloomington

Carmel High School received a letter last month from the director of scholarships at Indiana University Bloomington. According to Superintendent Jeff Swensson, the letter praised Carmel High School for having the largest number of students from any school earning scholarships.

Although the total scholarship amount is not known, the Class of 2010 did have 191 alumni who earned scholarships.

Student body president Jeremy Weprich has already applied to IU. “IU is one of the best public universities in the country, touting a world-renowned music school as well as a beautiful campus,” Weprich said

As an in-state applicant, Weprich said he hopes to receive exceptional education for a minimal price.

Both Swensson and Weprich agree that the numbers indicate a significant trend in learning in the school district and provide data to back up the intangible experience in school. According to Swensson, the Adequate Yearly Progress report of Carmel Clay schools will be released shortly and provide another indicator of improvement.

Weprich said, “The amount of scholarships our students earn is a direct representation of the excellence in our classrooms, as well as the emphasis Carmel places on participating in extracurricular opportunities.” By Steven Chen <[email protected]>