Economics Club callout on Sept. 23

The Economics Club will meet on Sept. 23 for a call-out meeting. The Economics Club is not only a club, but competes as well.  The club members compete at state, regional and national competitions, but they must win the previous competition before moving on to the next.

Jeff Hou, a two-year member and senior, said via-email, “The most challenging thing is (interschool) competition as we compete for place on (the) state team.”

The Economics Club has a varying schedule that will members will decide on after their first meetings. Students who are interested must have taken AP Macro to participate. In order to join the club, students should to email Michelle Foutz, economics teacher and sponsor of the Economics Club, and attend the call-out meeting.

The Economics Club usually starts out with 15 to 20 members. However, only 16 can qualify to go to competitions.

Foutz said via-email, “We’ve won Nationals three times. The National Council on Economic Education pays all expenses for the final six teams to travel to New York City for the National Finals. While in NYC, they take us to a Broadway play, take us on a dinner cruise, and plan other interesting activities for the students. The trip to NYC is an exciting experience for all of the students, regardless of how they perform in the competition.”