CHS begins to implement School Gate Guardian security system

A parent receives an identification badge at the attendance office. Under the new School Gate Guardian security system, visitors to the school must scan their identification cards when entering and leaving the building in order to help the school keep track of who is in the building, according to Assistant Principal Doug Bird. HAFSA RAZI / PHOTO

According to PTO president Amy Kline, the school’s new security system, called the School Gate Guardian, has been implemented at the main office, the freshman center and student services (Doors 1, 4 and 13). All other doors unless specified will be locked during the school day. With the new system, visitors will be required to scan their licenses or state identification cards before being allowed to enter the building. They will be issued badges to confirm that they have been checked into the system.  When visitors leave the school, they will scan their card again and return the badge. This new security measure will replace the previously used security logs.

“This increased level of security will allow us to better track visitors and help increase the safety and security of our students,” Assistant Principal Doug Bird said via email.

According to Bird, all of the elementary and middle schools in Carmel Clay already have School Gate Guardian, and the high school is the last building to install the system.

However, senior Jacob Hook said he sees the School Gate Guardian system as a bit of a hassle.

“It’s good because it will make the school safer, but it might make it unnecessarily harder to visit the school,” Hook said.