Students for Education to wrap gifts at Barnes & Noble

GOING TO GIVE: Aghilah Nadaraj, vice president of Students for Education and senior, explains the club’s next fundraiser. Nadaraj said the club introduced a new event this year in order to encourage more members to participate. HENRY ZHU / PHOTO

After initial setbacks, the literacy-centered group Students for Education plans to have its first fundraising event of the year. Aghilah Nadaraj, vice president and senior, said the group will wrap gifts for Barnes & Noble customers in exchange for donations.

“We had a bit of trouble setting up other events, but this one is something we’ve worked out that most members seem to like,” Nadaraj said. “For the next couple of weekends, the club will have times that member can sign up for to go help wrap presents at Barnes & Noble.”

According to sponsor Sherri Pankratz, the club’s meetings and activities are almost entirely run by the officers.

“I leave most of the day-to-day functions of the club to the students,” Pankratz said.

As for Nadaraj, she said the club created new events during the first semester due to a shift in leadership this year.

“We’ve had the same leaders for the last couple years, so things stayed mostly the same until this year,” Nadaraj said. ”We’ve made some changes this year, like not doing the Christmas gift drive, and added new events like the gift wrapping. Right now we’re just experimenting to see what can get members most involved.”