JSU to make hamantashen, plans for greater community involvement

Brett Gerstein, club president and junior, helps organize a Jewish Student Union (JSU) party. According to Gerstein, JSU will be baking hamantashen on March 5 to celebrate the Jewish holiday Purim. ANDY YANG/PHOTO

Beats

According to Brett Gerstein, club president and junior, Jewish Student Union (JSU) will be baking hamantashen, jelly or chocolate-filled triangle-shaped cookies, after school on March 5.

“We’re doing this because there is a holiday on March 7 at sundown called Purim.

This was the closest date we could get to it that a foods room was open,” Gerstein said via email.

Gerstein said the club will also host an arts-and-crafts meeting in the future.

“We’re also planning on making cobra-weave cord bracelets in two weeks, like what the soldiers in the Israeli army wear in case of an emergency situation,” Gerstein said. “In an emergency situation, the bracelet could be taken apart, and you’d have about 8 feet of rope.”

Gerstein said that in addition to these activities, JSU plans on becoming more involved with community-wide events with other Jewish teens in Indiana.

Sponsor Shelly Rubinstein said “I generally leave decisions up to (Gerstein) as to what the club will be doing.”

0