Senate begins annual Care to Share program

James Holland, Care to Share committee co-chair and sophomore, discusses Care to Share with a fellow senator in SRT. Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz said this holiday-oriented event is one of the most meaningful things senators do each year. MELINDA SONG / PHOTO

According to sponsor Michelle Foutz, Senate has just started its holiday-oriented Care to Share program, which is affiliated with the United Way of Central Indiana’s United Christmas Service Program.

Foutz has contacted SRTs that wish to participate and determined the extent to which they’d like to participate. According to Foutz, Senate has divided up the program so SRTs can sponsor one-quarter, one-half or a whole individual.

“Generally (United Way of Central Indiana gives) us large families because United Way has more difficulty getting other families in the community to sponsor a family that has 12 or 14 people in it,” Foutz said.

According to James Holland, Care to Share committee co-chair and sophomore, this program, which has existed for over 20 years, has benefited the central Indiana community.

“The kids that we’re giving the gifts to, a lot of them are in really large families or single-parent families so they’re really not going to get anything for Christmas other than what we give them,” he said.

According to Foutz, the families that United Way of Central Indiana selects are 125 to 140 percent below the poverty level. Holland said they often request basic necessities, not just toys.

“Some of them just want a gift card to buy groceries for a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal,” Foutz said.

SRTs participate by collecting money, buying gifts for the individual family member they’re supporting and bringing those gifts to senators. This year, the collection dates are Nov. 30 and Dec. 4.

On Dec. 18, senators like Holland will travel to the United Way of Central Indiana office to deliver these gifts to the families in person.

“I really like how direct (Care to Share) is. We can go right to the people who need these supplies or toys,” Holland said.

Even though this holiday season will not be the first time for Foutz to make the trip downtown, she said she enjoys the experience each year.

Foutz said, “I wish that we could take all of the students with us because these families are so appreciative of anything that we give to them…It’s one of the most meaningful things that we do.