Senior sells wristbands for Riley Children’s Hospital in honor of brother until Sept. 11

When her brother, Jack Polizzi, was diagnosed with leukemia in early August, senior Morgan Polizzi said she was determined to make the best of the situation. Polizzi, in response to her brother’s diagnosis, decided to launch a project called “Attack with Jack” to design and sell wristbands for Riley Children’s Hospital in his honor.

“When we were at the hospital for the first time, I sat there and was like, ‘What could I do to make the best of this?’ since obviously it’s kind of devastating and tragic that a 14-year-old boy has leukemia, and it happens to be my brother,” Polizzi said. “I decided to turn it around and make the best of it, so I jumped on the computer and designed the wristbands.”

According to Polizzi, she and other student volunteers will sell the wristbands for $1 at all lunches from Aug 26 to Sept 11. Volunteers will, according to Polizzi, send all profits to art teacher Sarah Wolff, who will, in turn, combine them with the Carmel Dance Marathon donations to Riley Children’s Hospital next February.

“I hope this project helps Morgan and her family feel a sense of accomplishment by helping others struggling with cancer like Jack,” Wolff said. “I hope that the money earned by selling the wristbands in his honor will help children in need at Riley hospital that are also battling cancer by providing treatment.”

Polizzi said her main reason for supporting Riley Children’s Hospital is to help others who are struggling to afford cancer treatments and to help improve the medical treatment and equipment offered at Riley.

“I hope that the money we raise that goes to Riley will help families that can’t afford treatments because my family is very lucky to have the money to afford Jack’s treatments,” Polizzi said. “I’d also like to see money go to new equipment. That’s one of the best things about Riley, that they have the best equipment that helps them address the problem in a timely manner. That’s what gives Riley such a good name.”

Freshman Lindsay Williams, Polizzi’s neighbor and friend, has also volunteered to help sell the wristbands at lunches and advertise “Attack with Jack” around the school. Williams said she encourages all students to do whatever they can, not matter how little, to help support Jack and Riley Children’s Hospital.

“I hope our project will motivate other students to help more with cancer,” Williams said. “Everyone should help out because it’s a really good way to support the hospital and the Polizzi family since they’re going through a really hard time.”

Polizzi said she agrees that “Attack with Jack” can use all the help it can get and said she is urging students to buy wristbands, volunteer to sell the wristbands, or even spread the word through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

“We really appreciate everyone’s support during these hard times,” Polizzi said. “I can’t even express how thankful we are for everybody’s help during these times cause’ it really keeps our hopes up.”