Administration plan to participate in AP Capstone Program, publicize program to sophomores

Principal John Williams talks to students in the hallway during passing period. Williams said that the administration is going to advertise the AP Capstone Program in the upcoming months. CLAUDIA HUANG / PHOTO

The administration is tentatively planning to participate in the AP Capstone Program for the 2014-2015 school year and working on advertising the program to the Sophomore Class, which will be the first class eligible to receive the AP Capstone Program Diploma, according to Principal John Williams.

At the school board meeting on Sept. 28, Williams said members will vote to decide whether or not to approve the program, which consists of a seminar class junior year and research project senior year, in addition to regular AP coursework.

Williams said, “Once it is approved, we will begin our information process. We’ll start with this year’s sophomores because they will be the first group who can take the seminar class their junior year.”

However, Williams said the administration will begin to advertise the program before the school board meeting, starting with an information session after school on Sept. 22 for students in Algebra II, honors precalculus, AP Physics B, AP Chemistry, honors chemistry, AP European History and honors English 10. The meeting will focus on explaining the program and answering any questions students have.

The counseling center will continue to publicize the program at sophomore scheduling meetings on Nov. 9. The program will then be introduced to parents at the sophomore parent night on Nov. 10.

Despite this focus on the Sophomore Class, Williams said juniors who are interested in taking the seminar class their senior year will be allowed to if there is space available. Sophomores will get first priority in registration because they actually have the opportunity to receive the diploma.

Student Body President George Gemelas said that he believes the program is a worthy addition to the school’s curriculum.

“The students at our school are mature enough for the curriculum that AP Capstone presents,” Gemelas said. “There are many students who want to develop in a looser way. It allows for more creativity in learning.”

Additionally, Gemelas said that he thinks many students will be interested in the program, as he would have participated if it had been available to him.

Gemelas said, “I would have taken the seminar class because it would have allowed me to synthesize what I learned in class and sharpen my critical analysis skills.”

For more information about the AP Capstone Program, click here.