Crons bars, now available in the cafeterias, prove themselves a valuable supplement

Protein Power: Scott Levine, student athlete and sophomore, buys a protein bar during lunch. He said that he buys protein bars on days he has APC (Advanced Physical Conditioning.) Photo/Sarah Liu

It is a normal gold day lunch for Scott Levine, student-athlete and sophomore, as he gets a Crons protein bar in the lunch line.

Recently at CHS, Crons protein bars have been added to the school cafeterias. Many student-athletes, including Levine, purchase them to help build muscle.

“It helps fill in the muscle after a workout,” Levine said.

Levine, who has advanced physical condition on gold days uses protein bars as a supplement.

“I buy a protein bar and chocolate milk after my workouts,” Levine said.

Levine is not the only student who purchases protein bars. Zachary “Zac” Nassimi, student-athlete and freshman, is also a consumer of the protein bars now offered at the school.

“I buy protein bars because I want to get stronger, and they’re healthy for you,” Nassimi said. “I usually eat them before and after (a workout.) They give you energy, and afterwards, it helps you build muscle.”

Protein bars are proven to help student-athletes become stronger and are healthy due to the nutrients within them. Aaron Bosket, strength and conditioning coach, recommends that student-athletes use protein bars  for something as a snack as opposed to an actual meal replacement.

“Basically (protein bars are) marketed towards meal replacements or meal supplements. I wouldn’t typically use them in place of a meal, let’s say breakfast,” Bosket said.

Bosket also said that one of the main nutrients in the protein bars that can give an athlete energy during his or her  workout is carbohydrates that are in the bars.

“Generally the (protein bars) I know of, and I looked at several, have quite a few carbohydrates in them, and carbohydrates are intended to be used for short-term energy anyways.” Bosket said. “That would be the only thing to my knowledge that would be a benefit from a mineral standpoint that would give you instant energy.”

According to Supplement Central, Crons protein bars have 38 grams of carbohydrates, 24 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat.

Bosket said, “Usually they all have a certain balance of carbohydrates, nutrients, and some fat, maybe a little bit, not much. But they basically have the nutrients you need.”

For Nassimi, he said he can feel the difference during his workout after eating a protein bar.

“It makes me feel better. It’s that type of mentality that helps me get through a workout,” Nassimi said.

Even though protein bars are gaining popularity, Bosket said that they may not be the best choice.

“Everything you can find in a store, energy bars, protein bars or whatever, they’re just fine to eat. The only thing is cost, because they are expensive. You can do what I said, and that takes a little time on your part, to put something in your backpack from home like seeds or fruit. There are other options out there that are cheaper, but if you don’t mind the cost of the bar, they’re fine,” Bosket said.

With companies nowadays spending millions on marketing and school cafeterias introducing protein bars to student-athletes, protein bars are no doubt increasing in popularity. Additionally, they affect student-athletes’ workouts here positively by giving them energy during their training.

Bosket said, “They’re easy to eat, they’re convenient and it gives them (student-athletes) instant energy.”