LifeLines prepares for Red Ribbon Week

LifeLines members meet in the morning to discuss upcoming events, such as Red Ribbon Week. Sponsor Rebekah Overbey said the purpose of Red Ribbon Week is remind students to make good choices. CYNTHIA WU / PHOTO

LifeLines is currently preparing for Red Ribbon Week, which will take place the last two weeks of October.

Sponsor Rebekah Overbey said the members are still finalizing plans and will meet after school to work on tasks like cutting out ribbons to pass out.

“Because of all the different changes the school has due to what the state guidelines now are (about) when can what clubs can and can’t do, I just have to verify that some of the things we have done in the past we can still do,” she said.

Some of the events that LifeLines has done in the past include tying ribbons on cars and having a door-decorating contest.

Overbey said the purpose of Red Ribbon Week is to remind students to make good choices.

“It’s not just anymore about drugs and alcohol, which is very important to still emphasize that students need to not do drugs or alcohol. (Students also) need to make sure they’re wearing their seatbelts when they’re driving (and) don’t text and drive,” she said. “We’re also trying to get something to do with anti-bullying as well because basically, regardless of how we feel about different issues, people in general are never going to see everything eye to eye exactly the same, but we always have to learn to work together and learn to help each other out.”

Member and senior Eileen Chou said Red Ribbon Week is an important event.

“I think it is important that our school continues to do Red Ribbon Week because students need to be reminded of the consequences behind drugs,” she said. “Seeing the red ribbon on someone’s backpack could really change a life.”