Jazz Ensemble to host Jazz a la Mode from April 23 to 25

Xavier Searle, Jazz Ensemble II trumpet player and sophomore, examines his trumpet in the band room. Searle said he looks forward to Jazz a la Mode because he performs for three nights. KATHERINE LONG/PHOTO

From April 23 to 25, Jazz Ensemble will host Jazz a la Mode, an annual concert in the band room where the setting resembles a New York jazz nightclub. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online.

According to Mike Pote, director of Jazz Ensemble I, all four jazz ensembles as well as

smaller student-led jazz combos will perform at the concert. The concert will feature a variety of modern and traditional jazz music. Additionally, various desserts and drinks will be available to the audience.

In previous years, the floor of the band room had tiers that created a natural stage, but because the floor is now flat, Pote said the directors must change the staging.

“One of the big differences will be that the floor is now flat,” Pote said. “We’re basically going to have the band up a lot higher than they normally are, so people will be lower and we’re hoping that they (the audience) can see the band better.”

Xavier Searle, Jazz Ensemble II trumpet player and sophomore, said he looks forward to the event because there are three performances overall and the intimate jazz setting differs from the setting of traditional concerts.

“I’m excited for Jazz a la Mode because it’s three nights, so you get to see how we improve each night we perform something,” Searle said. “The music is fun, the directors are nice, and of course, there’s pie. Who doesn’t like pie?”