Students prepare for annual Europe trip

Students in all grades are scheduled to travel to Europe this coming summer. The students, along with teacher leaders, are scheduled to depart June 8, 2010 and return on June 17, 2010.

Meetings for the planned attendees of the trip will begin in November and will occur about every other month to discuss the upcoming trip, which will allow attendees to view historical European sites as they travel through Germany and Italy. 

On this year’s trip, students will travel on bus to Chicago where they will exchange money and board their flight to Berlin, Germany. There, they will tour the Berlin Wall museum, visit Nazi concentration camps and participate in a “Nightwatchman Tour”.  They’ll travel south across the continent to Italy, stopping in Florence and Rome to see the Sistine Chapel and visit the American Cemetery. 

Griffin Brunk, a senior who went on the trip last year to Paris and London, said, “You learn a lot of history,and it’s fun to interact with different cultures.”

Brunk said he recommended others to attend the trip this year because it was an unforgettable experience for him.

According to Will Ellery, 12-year veteran of the trip and social studies teacher, the experiences allow students to attain a cross-cultural understanding and a global perspective.

Although Ellery said he cannot pinpoint an exact favorite trip, he said previous destinations have been all throughout the European continent. 

“Every time I think I have a new favorite trip, it turns out not to be,” Ellery said. “Because it’s always a good time for the kids, it’s always a neat experience for me.” By Josh Mifflin <[email protected]>