Debate team finishes third in districts

Since the team’s first meeting, going to nationals has been the goal of every team member. According to sponsor Susan Johnson, the team placed third at districts last week. Johnson said that she was very proud that three students, sophomores Kevin Zhang, Aditya Bhagavathi and Ray Qian will all be first alternates.

According to Johnson, the team’s third place finish was very exciting considering they did not have a student representing them in the policy debate category. Johnson said that she is very pleased with the result.

“I was very proud of the students while they were at districts,” Johnson said. “We really made the other schools work hard.”

For junior Elise Ruff, it was her first trip to districts. Now with their season coming to a close, Ruff said that she personally commends Ivy Yan, team president and junior, for her persistence in getting a sponsor for their club.

“We (the team) wouldn’t be in existence without her help,” Ruff said.

Ruff said that it is expected that former team sponsor Amanda Richmond will return next season, after her maternity leave, to be a “co-sponsor” with Johnson. Ruff said that considering how late they started their season, she is very proud of their work and looks forward to returning next year.

“It was a good year and we’ve progressed a lot,” Ruff said. “We’re all very excited for next season.” By Patrick Bryant <[email protected]>