Academic Decathlon has no plans until May

The Academic Decathlon does not have any meetings planned until May.

The team placed third in the State Competition at Purdue University on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13. It placed first at the Area Competition on Jan. 23 at Homestead High School.

“One season highlight was placing third at the State Competition in February,” Leslie Cornelius, Academic Decathlon president and senior, said.

Martinsville High School placed first in the State Competition. Martinsville High School has won the past 11 competitions. Other rivals include Lowell High School.

“Our goal was to place in the top three schools at the State Competition,” Academic Decathlon co-coach Scott Staley said.

The theme for this year was the French Revolution. Participants learned about the art, music, literature, language, math, economics, and science of this time period. They also studied super quiz, speech, essay and interview skills in order to prepare for both competitions.

Throughout the year, the Academic Decathlon members met to practice for the competitions and read speeches. Most of the preparation for the competitions was done by self-study. By Natalie Maier <[email protected]>