Students for Education will elect new officers

Students for Education, a club working to teach less fortunate children in the Indianapolis area to read, plans to elect new officers at its next meeting.

“The officer elections are for next year’s leaders, but we’re doing it so early so we can train the future officers for leadership after the current officers graduate,” club president and senior Ivy Yan said. “All the officers are seniors and will graduate this year, so we need to ensure that the club will continue on once we leave.”

Students for Education recently had its call-out meeting on Aug. 31, and Yan says the officer elections and other important events will take place at the Sept. 4 meeting.

“Applications to be an officer have been available since the call-out meeting and are due on Sept. 10,” Yan said. “The current officers will read through them and then we will have the elections at our next meetings.”

“I leave most of the organization and scheduling to the students,” sponsor Sherri Pankratz said.

Now in its third year, the club has grown immensely since Yan started it as a sophomore.

“We’ve gone a long way since two years ago,” Yan said. “We want to get future leaders and members of this club as enthusiastic about it as we are.” By Henry Zhu <[email protected]>