Students and administration gear up for adjusted graduation

During the next week, the Senior Class will begin preparation for graduation in May. Seniors must order their caps and gowns as well as any additional graduation packages by Oct. 20 during English classes. This year, due to calendar conflicts, the administration has adjusted the schedule for graduation. The actual graduation ceremony will take place on May 24 at 7 p.m.  and students will return to school on May 25 to finish taking finals.

“I’m not happy about (the changes),” Williams said. “Nobody likes the fact that seniors have to come back, but it’s not terrible.”

Following commencement on May 24, students will not have a first period final.

Williams said, “We’re not having any finals before first period on Tuesday or Wednesday. No one will have to be up at 7:50 in the morning ready to take a final.”

According to Williams, the adjusted schedule is due, in part, to new Indiana Department of Education rules, requiring all students to attend 182 school days. Mutual agreements between parents, students and the administration ruled out May 23 because of Memorial Day and the following Sunday because of the Indianapolis 500 race.

“This year’s graduation schedule poses a significant change over previous years, given the Tuesday night commencement ceremony,” student body president and senior Jeremy Weprich said. “However, this year’s Senior Class has become acclimated to changes in tradition, and will do its best to adjust.”

This year will also introduce a “senior dinner” as opposed to the “senior breakfast” held in previous years.

“Breakfast was fine, but kids would complain about having to get up early,” Williams said. “This will be a lot nicer, I think. What we’ve done is made the best of a bad situation.” By Sara Rogers <[email protected]>