Stepping into former star’s shoes, younger brother feels pressure to succeed

For the past five years of CHS men’s tennis, the Kumar brothers have dominated in every aspect of the game. First, Mihir played Number 1 singles throughout his entire high school career.

Last year Sameer, a freshman at the time, played Number 2 singles next to his brother  who was a senior at the time. With the Kumar brothers playing 1 and 2 singles during the 2011 season, the men’s tennis team had a true dynamic duo that was unstoppable.

But the Kumar brothers only had a short one-year reign together; Mihir left to go to Northwestern University, and that left Sameer with the responsibility and pressure to carry the tennis team to victory.

“There’s always pressure to lead your team to a state victory, but I try not to think about it during a match,” Sameer said.

Sameer picked up a tennis racquet at age  6. He entered his first tournament at age 8 and he said he has been drawn to the competitiveness ever since.

“I love competing at a national level,”  Sameer said. He practices two hours a day at the high school while in-season, and off-season he practices at the University of Indianapolis. His practice has paid off because he did not lose a single match last year and has only lost once this year.

Head Coach Mike Bostic said, “I am confident that Sameer can thrive in the (Number 1) singles position. He has played in so many big matches on the United States Tennis Association (USTA) circuit as well as the IHSAA season. Last season he was undefeated at (Number 2) singles and he has something to prove this year.”

When Mihir lost in the individual State Finals to a North Central player in 2011, it left Sameer with a chance to exceed his brother in something.

Sophomore Sameer Kumar gets ready to return a serve. The tennis team will go for a third consecutive State title this season. MARY BROOKE JOHNSON / PHOTO

“You always want to do better than your siblings,” Sameer said.

Bostic said, “Carmel High School has been fortunate to have so many great players over the years. Playing (Number) 1 singles for this school is an honor and I think Sameer really appreciates the history and wants to make his mark. He wants that individual State title that eluded his brother and I believe he will get there.”