Pinnacle finishes up yearbook; prepares for journalism convention

Sophomore Alexis Sinder works on a yearbook assignment. The staff has finished the yearbook and is now working towards completing the supplement, which is the spring portion of the book. JESSICA TAO / PHOTO
Sophomore Alexis Sinder works on a yearbook assignment.  The staff has finished the yearbook and is now working towards completing the supplement, which is the spring portion of the book. JESSICA TAO / PHOTO

Pinnacle, Carmel High School’s yearbook, is finishing up the 2013 yearbook. The staff is putting final touches on the index and supplement, but the rest of the book is finished.  They are getting excited for the April 24 journalism convention in San Francisco.  According to Pinnacle adviser Nicole Wilson, the convention is one of the best parts of the year.  Pinnacle member and sophomore Joie Li said the deadlines have been difficult, but the payoff is worth it.

The journalism convention takes place in San Francisco.  Three to five thousand journalism students attend from dozens of different high schools.  The Pinnacle competes in the largest category, which makes it more competitive.

Wilson said, “We take sessions, and we compete, and we hear from some professional keynote speakers.  We also get a chance to tour the city, which is secretly my favorite part.”

According to Li, the staff will plan next year’s yearbook theme at the convention.

The most common struggle for members of the Pinnacle staff is the tight deadlines.  This has been especially true for the supplement, the spring portion of the book, because the deadlines are a quick turnaround.  Their final upcoming event, aside from distribution, is the GMN Communications Award night on May 2.

Li said, “Working on the book has been such an honor. I feel incredibly proud to say that I was a part of this staff and will be shocked if we don’t win any awards. Yerds for life.”