Graduation to take place June 2 at Indiana Convention Center

Graduation will occur in the Wabash West Hall Wing of the Indiana Convention Center on June 2, according to Principal John Williams. Rehearsal will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by an hour-long lunch for senior attendees. Students will line up at 1:30 p.m., and the processional will begin at 2 p.m. and end by 4 p.m. GradFest will be available for seniors from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Seniors from the Class of 2012 applaud after a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Unlike last year’s commencement at the Pepsi Coliseum, this year’s ceremony will be held at the Indiana Convention Center. VICTOR XU / PHOTO

The ceremony normally takes place in the Pepsi Coliseum, which is currently closed for renovations for the next two years. Williams said administrators selected the Indiana Convention Center as the substitute venue because of its size and accommodations, which parallel those of the Pepsi Coliseum. The convention hall offers handicap seating, suitable seating space for the 1,200 graduating seniors and close proximity to parking garages in downtown Indianapolis.

“People have always been able to come without limits, and we didn’t want to ever sell tickets for graduation,” Williams said.

In a letter sent to the parents of seniors, administrators reminded students to dress in formal attire and exhibit behavior becoming to a CHS student.

“The CHS graduation ceremony is not brief by any measure, with well over 1,000 students getting commemorated, but I truly think there is something moving about watching each graduate walk across the stage and receive their diploma,” Speaker of the House Meredith Baranowski said. “It’ll be touching to watch students I’ve grown up with achieve this monumental point in their lives and I can’t wait to cheer on my peers.”

Those planning to attend graduation can find directions to the Indiana Convention Center here.