Winter conditions cause bus malfunctions

Despite plugging the buses in every night, the transportation department still experiences delays and malfunctions due to the recent snow and extremely cold temperatures, according to Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation.

“During cold weather (below freezing) we plug our buses in. They have block heaters which serve to keep coolants and fuel from gelling and thus the engine not start. We have had good luck getting buses started and on the road through the extreme cold days,” Farrand said. “What does happen sometimes is that the airlines freeze and then doors and stop arms and brakes are affected. This happens when there is moisture that condenses in the lines, and that moisture freezes, blocking the flow of air to the air-actuated equipment.”

Farrand also said on days on mornings when temperatures are extremely cold, drivers start the buses half an hour early to try to prevent any problems. Still, although the temperatures are low, Farrand recommends that students be out to their bus stops on time.

Farrand said, “In spite of the cold, it is still important for students to be at their bus stops before the bus arrives. It is extremely dangerous for students to be dashing to the bus at the last minute with the icy conditions we have.”

Teresa Chen, frequent bus rider and freshman, said the buses should take extra precautions in winter conditions.

Chen said, “I think that the buses just need to be more careful, especially when it’s icy outside, because it’s more dangerous in the winter than it is any other time of the year.”