Chemistry Club members to take the USNCO national exam

According to Chemistry Club sponsor Virginia Kundrat, two CHS students are nominated to participate in the United States National Chemistry Olympiad’s (USNCO) national exam in Terre Haute on April 24. Many students throughout central Indiana participated, but only two were picked from each school. The CHS candidates are juniors Adit Chandra and Willie Zhu.

Patrick Tan, Chemistry Club president and senior, discusses his plans for upcoming events and demonstrations. Some of Chemistry Club’s demonstrations range from making ice cream to their newest experiment which is freeze-dried soap bubbles. JOSEPH LEE / PHOTO

Chandra said, “There is a ton of competition in Carmel. Carmel is kind of a powerhouse for chemistry, so I was pretty relieved when I was able to push through and get top two.”

According to Patrick Tan, USNCO national exam participant in 2013 and senior, the USNCO national exam is no easy feat. The test consists of three parts: multiple choice, free response, as well as a lab.

Twenty of the top scoring students from the USNCO exam are invited to an intensive study camp in the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO. From then on, four students and one alternative will be picked to travel to Hanoi, Vietnam for the 46th International Chemistry Olympiad.

Due to the success of Chemistry Club’s previous demonstrations at College Wood Elementary School and Woodbrook Elementary School, they are planning for more to finish of the school year.