Speech Team prepares for first competition on Nov. 5

The members are preparing for their first competition on Nov. 5 in Fishers. According to club sponsor Jacleen Joiner, everyone participates in a specific event such as duo, drama, humor or interpretation.  Depending on the competition, there are three or four rounds, a final round, and an award ceremony.  Joiner said that the students are best at duo and humor, but extemporaneous speech is becoming more popular as well.

“We have about a month and a half to two months to get ready so I think with all that time to get ready and if people are actually doing what I ask them to do like prepping their scripts and everything, then we’re good to go,” said Joiner.

During practices, the students are usually placed into groups, depending on experience level, where they will perform for one another and have peer reviews.  According to freshman Iris Yan, she was not nervous to join the Speech Team because of experience in middle school. She said, “It helps you become more confident with public speaking and like it’s easier to talk in general.”

Despite the sometimes long and tiring Saturday competitions, Joiner said, “I enjoy the students who are involved. We have a pretty good team, and we don’t have a lot of conflict. Everyone gets along pretty well and helps one another.”