Physical education department brings about second semester changes

The start of a new semester brings about similarities and differences from first semester physical education classes.

Similar to first semester, physical education students are assigned lockers that can be used to store away the uniforms after the period is over or to keep athletic shoes until the next class period. After that, the teachers inform their students on what is expected in their classes, whether it is related to behavior or the classes’ curriculum.

There are still some things that remain the same relating first and second semesters in the physical education department. “We still use heart rate monitors and emphasize fitness,” department chair Kim TenBrink said.

According to TenBrink, students participate in different activities during second semester. “Our curriculum in PE II is different from that of PE 1,” TenBrink said.

For example, activities such as tennis, golf, flag football and swimming were part of the first semester’s curriculum. However, second semester had a totally new set of activities including volleyball, basketball and handball.

Some people said they thought second semester was just going to be a repeat of first semester.

Sophomore Arpeet Patel said, “I was expecting that we were just going to play some of the activities that we didn’t have time for last semester. However, I found out that there was a whole new, different curriculum for the new semester.”

Overall, Patel said he enjoyed having the new curriculum. He said, “I really liked experiencing the new sports and games and their differences from the ones I’ve played before.” By Chris Li <[email protected]>