It Takes Two

With similar extracurricular backgrounds, seniors Weston Luzadder and Curtis Pittman are the first leaders to have earned their positions through combined effort

By Tommy Sneider

Take 1 – SBP
WESTON LUZADDER
How good of friends are you?
Pretty good, we’ve been really good friends for about two years.

How will this friendship help you guys next year?
We already know each other, and it’ll just be easier to work together. We usually see each other in the hallways all the time, so we can catch up then on what needs to be done.

How is this similar to how Dan and David were last year?
I don’t really know how well they knew each other, but we both kind of did what Dan and David did and I thought it would be fun to do.

What makes you unique?
I’m outgoing and can get along with all different kinds of people.

What will be your biggest challenge this year?
Probably Dance Marathon and making it as successful as this year. Just starting a little bit earlier and using the class officers to get more people involved.

What do you want fellow Carmel students to know?
I’m looking forward to this next year and leading a great student body.

What’s your goal for this school year?
To make all of the activities fun, since if they’re fun then people will come.

How will you be different than other presidents in the past?
I’d like to improve on the things we’re doing and to raise the morale in the students and their involvement in the activities.

What traits make you a strong leader?
Outgoing, understanding, friendly, willing to listen and an optimistic attitude.
What’s one change that students will see right away? Listening to what they want and trying to get that accomplished, like the other day I was talking about the late starts about the year and that they heard that we would have half days on Friday, so stuff like that that could be able to be changed. There’s a lot of stuff that people have wanted to do in the past that I can’t promise to do, but I’ll work to get the wants and needs accomplished.

What big events are planned besides the usual ones?
As far as Dance Marathon goes, I want that students that do do Dance Marathon to get a bag of goodies or discounts at certain stores. Not only do the students get the joy of helping other kids, but also special incentives from other companies.

Why, in your opinion, were you elected?
Because people know me and trust me, and they know that I’m passionate about what I do.

What will you be doing as student body president?
First off, I will oversee 24 senators who were elected last year. I kind of make sure the activities and administration all those weeks are running smoothly. I put other people chairmen of other committees. As far as Homecoming, I look at people getting things ready for that being done in a timely manner and correctly. I’ll also oversee Care to Share and make sure that that goes how it goes and see that the events are successful. I meet with the senators during SRT, and I also have a prep period to meet with other students or teachers, whoever necessary.

Anything else to tell the rest of the student body?
I’m looking forward to this school year. I think we have a great school and great tradition, and am looking to keep that going.

Take 2 – SOH
CURTIS PITTMAN
How good of friends are you?
We became friends last year and sophomore year, and last year we became good friends with lacrosse.

I think since we mesh well we’ll have good ideas since we have a positive vibe and it’ll be more fun for everybody around us.

How is this similar to Dan and David were last year?
Dan and David were pretty good friends, and it was a fun place to be and they helped each other out.

What makes you unique?
I have a passion for student government and bring a lot experience to the table.

Why do you think you were elected for your position?
I think people saw me from cabinet, and saw that I was already in a role that has the same thing.

It will be to overcome the Dance Marathon total.

What changes do you plan to make in the coming year?
Nothing huge, a little things here and there. We might change the hour system to a point system, but just small things to be more efficient and organized.

We’re going to have a great year in general for activities.

What activities are you planning for this year?
I’m going to try to do Intramural Quidditch and see if we can do that. It’ll be a lot of fun. I want to raise money to send care packages to the people in Iraq.

What’s your main goal for this school year?
My goal is to make each event that I oversee bigger and better.

What traits do you think make you a strong leader?
I bring a friendly atmosphere that people like to be around.

What do you look forward to most as Speaker of the House?
I look forward to being with and working everybody in House and Cabinet.

How do you plan on improving Dance Marathon this year?
We’re doing middle school dance marathon that will go further towards helping out. We did one at Carmel Middle School and it raised $3,000, so we plan to do more of that. It’ll be a significant addition to ours.

What is the best thing about being Speaker of the House?
Everybody in House is just a lot of fun, and they’re all great people who are a lot of fun to work with.

Anything you want to add?
I hope to make the school year great, and just to have a lot of fun.

To submit nominations for 15 Minutes of Fame, contact Stephanie Hodgin at [email protected].